Historic Preservation
About Us
GCG GUIDE
GCG Districts
Events Calendar
Projects and Programs
Membership
Adult Classes
Floral Design
Grants and Scholarships
Historic Preservation
Youth Programs
Community Service
GCG Publications
Support the Club
GCG Forms
WWW Links
Site Map
Contact GCG
Home


Historic Preservation Grant
In 1996, the Garden Club of Georgia launched the annual Historic House and Garden Pilgrimage to help raise funds to support a matching grant for the restoration of historic, non-profit, public landscapes and gardens in Georgia. In 1998, after two successful Pilgrimages, the fund had enough money to award the first round of Historic Landscape Preservation Grants. Grants have been awarded every year since, and to date sixty-eight landscapes have received matching grants totaling more than $115,000.

Over the years, districts have chosen to hold lectures or garden tours as their fundraiser of choice. Read below for a synopsis of the years' events.

The goals of the Historic Landscape Preservation Grants are to:

  • Promote awareness of Georgia's historic landscapes and gardens
  • Encourage preservation of threatened historic landscapes and gardens
  • Provide seed money to assist organizations and communities in developing sound landscape preservation projects which provide public benefit


Tara Dillard
 

2017 Historic Landscape Preservation Fundraiser

The Laurel District hosted Tara Dillard, award winning and nationally recognized author and speaker, who hosted her own CBS-TV Show, "The Better Gardening Show." Tara is the author of five books, including Garden Paths and Stepping Stones, Beautiful by Design and The Garden View.

Tara lectured on Modern Garden Design with Historic Inputs, a subject that is close to her heart. The lunch and lecture took place Wednesday, April 26, 2017, on the beautiful campus of Berry College in Rome Georgia. Included was lunch, lecture, and a tour of Martha Berry's
House and Gardens at Oak Hill located across the street from Berry College.


Oak Hill and Gardens, Berry College


The Arnold-Tedder House "Oak Grove"
 

2016 Historic Landscape Preservation Fundraiser

The Redbud District hosted a tour featuring The Arnold-Tedder House "Oak Grove" in Newnan, Georgia located in Coweta County on April 30, 2016. This plantation is on the National Registry of Historic Places. The house was built circa 1835.

George and Liz Tedder have owned the property since 1983. They have lovingly restored this traditional farmhouse. The layout has four rooms up and down with a central hallway and originally heated by four huge chimneys and fireplaces. Mrs. Tedder is currently writing a book about the discovery, renewal, years of living in the house, and continued growth of the gardens.

The cemetery garden and the other gardens have been greatly
expanded over the last twenty years. Docent led tours of both the house
and the gardens, and "interpretive restoration" of a plantation landscape
were held all day.

The Arnold-Tedder House "Oak Grove"
4537 North Highway 29
Newnan, Georgia 30265


Andrea Wulf
 

"The Brother Gardeners"

2015 Historic Landscape Preservation Fundraiser

On April 22, 2015, the Dogwood District hosted the Historic Landscape and Garden Grant Fundraising Lecture at Ansley Golf Club in Atlanta with a reception and book signing.

Andrea Wulf, award winning author, delighted us several years ago, and we welcomed her back to discuss her book, "The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire & The Birth of an Obsession." The fundraiser was a great success, and the lecture was enjoyed by all.

2014 Historic Landscape Preservation Fundraiser

On February 27, 2014 the Oleander District hosted a Luncheon and Lecture in Savannah featuring Dean Norton, Director of Horticulture at George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate.

This witty and entertaining lecture educated and delighted us as Mr. Norton described the history and the recent historical restoration of George Washington's Garden at Mount Vernon. The event was a sell-out, and everyone in attendance enjoyed learning more about this iconic American garden and founding father while supporting the preservation of Georgia's rich garden heritage.

2013 Historic House and Garden Pilgrimage

2013 Pilgrimage: "Gentleman Architects and Gardeners"
Featuring homes and gardens of Macon
June 7, 2013

Hosted by the Camellia District, this tour featured stately homes and beautiful gardens, highlighting Macon's gentlemen architects and gardeners. A wonderful exhibit on Neel Reid, architect extraordinaire and champion of Georgia's garden clubs, was shown at historic Neel House, headquarters of the Federated Garden Clubs of Macon, Inc. Camellia District and the City of Macon enjoyed hosting us for "Gentleman Architects and Gardeners."

2012 Historic Landscape Preservation Fundraiser

Gibbs Gardens estate, Ball Ground, Ga.

The Laurel District was pleased to present the 2012 Historic Landscape and Garden Grant Fundraiser, a full day tour and lunch at the gorgeous Gibbs Gardens in Ball Ground, in the foothills of the North Georgia mountains, on May 11th. All proceeds from this tour benefitted the Garden Club of Georgia's Historic Landscape and Garden Grant Fund, which awards grants for the restoration of historic non-profit landscapes and gardens in Georgia.

The Gibbs Gardens estate has long been a favorite place of gardeners lucky enough to receive an invitation for a personal tour from Jim Gibbs, the owner, designer and developer. Two hundred and twenty acres of gardens are set in a mature forest in the foothills of the North Georgia Mountains. The rolling hills, abundance of springs and streams and mature shade trees create a truly unique backdrop for these unforgettable gardens. The seamless integration of nature and artistic design provides a breathtaking canvas for Gibbs's four feature gardens.

Homes featured in the 2009 tour, which took place in Waynesboro and was hosted by the Burkeland Garden Club:

The Waverly, circa 1885, with its Greek Revival portico and outstanding walled gardens, is a study in tranquility. Boxwood hedges define the formal garden spaces which are graced by mature camellias, azaleas, and other plantings.

The Steadman House, circa 1917, was built in the Spanish Mission style. It boasts a welcoming open front porch graced with container plants. Dogwood trees, camellia bushes and seasonal planting abound within a wrought iron fenced yard.

The Callaway House, circa 1896, has extensive and varied plantings which provide a garden oasis only blocks from downtown Waynesboro. Pathways and ornamentals in the newer back garden add to its beauty.

Preserving Our Landscape Heritage

The Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative

The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. has been actively involved with various aspects of preserving the landscape heritage in the state of Georgia. Through a collaborative effort with the Historic Preservation Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, the Southeast Regional Office of the National Park Service, and the Cherokee Garden Library at the Atlanta History Center, GCG is helping inventory and document historic landscapes in Georgia that are listed in Garden History of Georgia, 1733-1933. This information will be housed in the Cherokee Garden Library and will serve as a resource for restoration endeavors. To review the current list of completed surveys, please follow this link. This research aid is available through the Atlanta History Center's Kenan Research Center website as well as Galileo.

Individuals who would like to volunteer to work with the Cherokee Garden Library or the Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative can access the survey form and an instruction sheet with a completed sample form by clicking on the respective link:


From the archives of the Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative (click image for larger view):
House O' Dreams, Berry College, Mount Berry, Georgia. Photograph courtesy of Nancy S. Gadberry, 2009.

Illustration of Valley View, antebellum plantation, from The Garden History of Georgia, 1733-1933. Illustration by architect P. Thornton Marye, 1933. Image courtesy of Peachtree Garden Club of Atlanta and The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.

Daffodils and Hyacinths in the Old Bulb Garden, Chafee Garden, Augusta, Georgia, 1933. Photograph from The Garden History of Georgia, 1733-1933. Image courtesy of Peachtree Garden Club of Atlanta and The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.

If you have questions about the Initiative, please contact Staci Catron at 404-814-4046 or by mail at: scatron@atlantahistorycenter.com

Staci Catron, Director
Cherokee Garden Library
Kenan Research Center
Atlanta History Center
130 West Paces Ferry Road, NW
Atlanta, GA 30305-1366

 

Preservation Partner

A GCG donation category for members and clubs who would like to support historic landscape preservation efforts within our state is available. Those clubs donating $25 or more to this program will receive a "Partner of Preservation" certificate. For donations of $100 or more, a "Patron of Preservation" certificate will be awarded. Make checks payable to GCG and mail to the GCG Treasurer. Use the What To Send Where form.

© 2017 by the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.Send feedback to Web Site Manager