Youth Poetry Contest
The time has arrived to explore the different types of poetry that our youth can use to express their creative ideas. The title for the 2011-2012 poetry contest is "Colorful Fruits" or "Tasty Vegetables." For 2012-2013, the theme is "Protecting Our Aquatic Friends." Use your imagination and join the winners to see your poetry in print!
Visit this page to read winning poems from past contests.
Jeannie Bradley of Hiawassee, Ga., is our 2000 Youth Poetry Contest winner, Kindergarten Division. Jeannie also won First Place in the Deep South Region!
- Kindergarten through Ninth Grade
- Special Education: Kindergarten through Ninth Grade
- All entries must be typed and titled.
- Include name, address, and age and school grade of participant on back of entry.
- Sponsoring club and federation must also be identified.
- All entries become the property of NGC.
- Poems do not have to rhyme.
- Poems may be traditional verse, acrostics, blank verse, cinquains, diamond poems or Haiku.
- Have one person from the sponsoring club send entries with her name, address, email address and telephone number included in the packet of entries.
Scale of Points (total 100)
- Title (10)
- Content (40)
- Creativity (30)
- Style (20)
Submit entries to the District Poetry Contest Chairman by December 1. See the Guide for your District Chairman's address. The District will send the 1st and 2nd Place winning entries to the State Poetry Contest Chairman before December 10. Contact the State Chairman for more information:
227 East Eleventh St.
Rome, GA 30161-3338
© 2013 by the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.Send feedback to Web Site Manager